Did you know that garage coatings improve the look, feel, and functionality of any concrete surface? This could be the solution your concrete surfaces need.
Below, Area Home Services discuss how to improve your space with a polyurea and polyaspartic floor coating, including how these materials differ from one another.
Polyaspartic Garage Coatings in Quincy, IL
Modern polyaspartic coatings have moved far beyond the original epoxy floor coatings concept. A polyurea base is now far stronger than previous formulations and much less volatile in sunlight.
How do polyaspartic coatings work?
- We mix a catalyst into the resin to start the curing process.
- We apply the layers up to 6 mm thick.
- We present you with move-in ready floors or surfaces a day or two later.
What is the Difference Between Polyurea and Polyaspartic?
The two substances share similar qualities because they work off the same base material. But they are distinctly different in the following ways:
- Polyurea is more flexible as it sets. This quality ensures better adhesion. It also handles concrete expanding and contracting better.
- Polyurea makes a better base for flooring. You can apply layers of polyurea up to 15 mm thick, leaving plenty of room for additives like vinyl flakes. These properties make it an ideal base coat.
- Polyaspartic is stronger and less flexible. It is better able to withstand extreme temperatures. It also contains UV-protectants that make it an ideal topcoat formulation.
- Polyaspartic costs more. We only apply it in a thin, 6 mm thick coat due to its texture, but this also makes it more cost-effective as a topcoat choice.
Both products are highly resistant to scratches, gouges, and scuffing, though polyaspartic performs slightly better. Commercial-grade products contain a high to 100% solid content to improve the flooring’s lifespan and boost product adhesion, which makes it easier to clean. However, both products cure quickly, making them ideal for business applications.
The Installation Process
In theory, any type of polyurea is easy to install. However, it takes training and expertise to properly mix and pour these garage coatings evenly. It takes hours of preparation to get to the stage where you can pour the garage floor coating, including the following steps:
- Grind. We carefully grind the concrete to remove the dirty top layer and previous coatings, which opens the concrete’s pores so that the polyurea can fill them.
- Repair. We fix minor imperfections like cracks and chips.
- Smooth. We sand over repairs for a level surface.
- Clean. We clean all traces of dirt and debris.
Once we complete this process, the surface is ready to accept the first layer of polyurea. This stage includes applying the coating, hand-casting flakes for color or texture, and then allowing it to cure until it is hard enough to sand down any flakes sticking out from the surface. Then, we clean up dust and debris before applying the polyaspartic top coat and allowing it to harden.
With this combination of materials, customers can walk on their new garage floors within a few hours and drive or move furniture onto them within a day or two.
The Benefits of Garage Floor Coatings
One big plus with these floor coatings is that they are virtually maintenance-free. You will need to sweep regularly and mop the floor once in a while. Much of the time, clean water is all you need.
With more stubborn dirt, we recommend a neutral cleaner and, if necessary, a soft-bristled brush. If you do scratch the surface, you can repair shallow marks with a purpose-built polish. However, for larger gouges, you will need a patch kit.
Beyond that maintenance, there is no need to refinish the surface during the coating’s useful lifespan.
Many companies will offer a warranty of five years for commercial coatings and 15 years for residential projects. They can do so confidently because these products are highly durable, even under high-traffic conditions. You might even find that the coatings last decades with proper care.
Great-quality coatings handle heavy traffic with aplomb and won’t peel, crack, or flake. They are also difficult to scuff or scratch.
Improves Property Value
Applying these coatings not only creates a more appealing look but improves your property’s value. They prevent spills from staining and eroding the concrete substrate, keeping the surface looking pristine. Tire marks and grease also easily wipe off new garage coatings.
Are you planning to sell the property? Thanks to the UV-protectants in polyaspartic, the surface remains as pristine in its five-to-ten-year lifespan as when we first installed it. Potential buyers will see this as a positive sign, showing that you care about proper home maintenance in the garage and everywhere else.
Whether you have a small garage at home or a huge commercial workshop, safety is essential. Why not consider adding an aggregate to the coating to improve traction or lighter colors to brighten the space for those using it daily? Some of our commercial clients also incorporate safety markings into the coating.
When it comes to aesthetics, polyurea coatings lead the pack. You can recreate almost any look you want using different additives, including a company logo, a solid, striking brand color, or imitations of expensive and beautiful stone finishes. The options are endless!
Polyaspartic and Polyurea Coatings in Quincy
Would you like to know more? Our team is detail-oriented and committed to 100% customer satisfaction. Call Area Home Services at 573-463-6640 today for a comprehensive range of high-quality polyurea and polyaspartic garage coatings!